Creating a vision for the future with the communities and customers we serve.
The time has come to create a new vision for Horseshoe Bay terminal, from the services it provides to the look and functionality of its design. Your input will be the cornerstone of the redevelopment effort and will help to shape the future design and function of the terminal.
We have embarked on an extended engagement effort to better understand the important role the terminal plays in your communities and travel experience, and to gather input on how you envision the Horseshoe Bay terminal of the future.
Final Design Drivers & Visual Profile
Following the results of our Phase 3 engagement (see details below) we’ve used your feedback to finalize two key aspects of concept design: the design drivers and a visual profile. Design drivers are a check-list of needs. They help the redevelopment team understand what to include in the design of the future terminal. The visual profile is like a picture book that tells a story of how the design should make people feel (for example, welcoming, calm, close to nature, etc.).
Results of Phase 3 Engagement
In Spring 2018 we held a series of in-person workshops and online engagement to gather input on foundational pieces of the design puzzle for the future Horseshoe Bay terminal. We heard from more than 1,500 people about what is important to them for the future vision of the terminal. Five major themes emerged through this process:
The next step in the engagement program is for the design team to use the final design drivers and visual profile, alongside corporate priorities and objectives, to create design concepts for the new terminal. We’ll provide you with updates about the design process as it progresses and we look forward to inviting the community to provide feedback on the design concepts later this fall.
Learn more about the engagement process and the factors that will shape our decision making by clicking the boxes below or keep scrolling for answers to some of your frequently asked questions. Have a question that isn’t there yet? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How will the public input gather in this engagement be used?
- Why is BC Ferries planning to redevelop the Horseshoe Bay terminal now?
- Why redevelop the terminal?
- What are the timelines for redevelopment?
- Will the new Horseshoe Bay terminal still service the same routes?
1. How will the public input gathered in this engagement be used?
Your input is important to us and will shape the concept(s) that go into in the Horseshoe Bay Terminal Development Plan. The concepts contained inside the terminal development plan will shape the next phase of redevelopment, detailed terminal design. Communities and customers will continue to be engaged as redevelopment progresses. See question 4 below for more information on the redevelopment process and planned engagement efforts.
2. Why is BC Ferries planning to redevelop the Horseshoe Bay terminal now?
The current terminal is at capacity, making it difficult and sometimes uncomfortable for our customers to travel and for our Horseshoe Bay neighbours to fully enjoy their community. In addition, some of the terminal’s infrastructure will soon be in need of replacement, making this a good time to explore how the terminal can make better use of its existing footprint. With technology evolving and new generations shifting their modes of travel, transportation in the region is also changing quickly, trends we need to keep pace with and plan for.
3. Why redevelop the terminal?
The existing terminal has been in place since the 1960s. Its configuration is the result of small changes and add-on structures that have helped to accommodate growing ridership. This configuration is no longer working for our customers, our neighbours, or BC Ferries.
Redevelopment will allow us to achieve several goals:
- Connect communities and customers with the people and places important to them by creating a more efficient and pleasurable terminal experience and aesthetic
- Support growth in the region by moving people and goods with greater ease
- Accommodate changing transportation needs by considering emerging technologies and ensuring flexibility for future technological changes
4. What are the timelines for redevelopment?
Redevelopment is not estimated to begin for another 5 years. Its implementation will happen over a period of time and in phases. This engagement effort is a visioning and planning exercise and is the first of three key engagement steps associated with the terminal redevelopment:
- Visioning and planning (now): Engage with communities and customers to explore ways of improving the efficiency of the terminal and service through the terminal, as well as the community and customer experience of Horseshoe Bay terminal over the long term. Outcome: A draft vision to inform the Terminal Development Plan (the document that will guide terminal redevelopment). Learn more about the visioning and planning engagement process .
- Detailed design (2-4 years out): Engage communities and customers in aspects of the detailed design of the terminal. Outcome: A finalized terminal design used for construction.
- Construction (5+ years out): Engage communities and customers in planning for service impacts resulting from the phased construction of the terminal. Outcome: communities and customers remain involved and informed as the terminal construction moves through its phases.
5. Will the new Horseshoe Bay terminal still service the same routes?
Yes. The new terminal will still service Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, and Bowen Island.